Working in teams at Rotman Commerce
Working as a team is challenging; this is true both in the workplace and in your academic classes. However, learning to work together in teams is an important aspect of your education and preparation for your future careers.
At RC, you’ll learn to work in diverse teams with other students from a wide variety of places and perspectives. Through this process, you will develop intercultural and interpersonal skills, and improve your communication and project management skills.
The Rotman Commerce Centre for Professional Skills (CPS) is a growing centre within Rotman Commerce with the mandate of supporting RC students in developing a core suite of professional skills via cumulative curricular and co-curricular touchpoints throughout their degree. The CPS has developed new teamwork resources designed to support all RC students and teams encountering challenges in their teamwork experience within courses.
The teamwork contract is an important document for helping you work effectively with your team. The contract, and associated team skills audit form, will walk you through effective team practices like setting ground rules and dividing up tasks. The team skills audit will help you identify how your individual strengths contribute to the group.
The teamwork contract and skills audit should be completed in your first team meeting, in one sitting. Your first team meeting should be held at a time when all team members can attend, on an agreed-upon platform (Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Google Meet, etc.). Avoid using social media platforms as your primary mode of communication with your team.
Download the CPS Tips for Teamwork PDF
Download the Teamwork Contract Word Doc
Download the Team Skills Audit Word Doc
Watch the Team Skills Audit video on YouTube
Download the Skill Action Verbs PDF
Need more support?
Meet with a Teamwork Mentor! Teamwork Mentors are upper-year RC students or recent alumni and can provide your team with support to develop plans for effective collaboration, identify issues or constraints regarding time, work or accommodations, resolve conflict between team members or communicate more effectively within teams.
If you want to learn effective project management strategies, leverage your diverse strengths for team success, and communicate more effectively, contact a Teamwork Mentor for support.
How to book an appointment
To book a meeting with a Teamwork Mentor, go to uoft.me/writingcentres and select “Rotman Commerce Centre for Professional Skills”. Register for a WCONLINE account or login to your account if you have one (details below).
For a team meeting, assign one student from the team to book an appointment for the whole team.
- Register for an account using your @mail.utoronto.ca email address and follow the confirmation prompts you receive via email. At the bottom of the registration page, click on “yes” next to “include iCal links with appointment confirmation messages”.
- Once your registration is complete, select the schedule: Teamwork Support on the drop-down menu.
- Click on the white box for an appointment slot. Each appointment will be 45 mins.
- You will receive an appointment confirmation email with your appointment details and meeting link. The assigned student will be responsible for sharing the details/meeting link with the rest of the members of the team.
- For questions or registration support, please email email@example.com. with the course code and team number in the subject line of the email.
Any member of the team may reach out individually to book an appointment, but we also encourage teams to book their appointments as a team. You will normally receive a response within 24-36 hours. Be proactive in booking your meeting: teamwork is challenging, so reach out for support before problems arise!