Become a Class Champion
Our Class Champions are a vital part of our alumni community. As a Class Champion, you will be the primary contact for classmates of your graduating year. Social convenor, organizer, administrator, and cheerleader all in one, our Class Champions are the heart of their class, and provide our alumni community with invaluable assistance in making sure that our alumni network is the best that it can be for all of our grads.
We’d love to have a few Class Champions for each graduating year, so don’t be shy! To see who has already signed up, check out our current list of Class Champions below. If there are already several reps for your year, don’t fret! That just means we’ve got you covered. We’d love to have you volunteer in some other way, so check out our many opportunities to connect with other alumni, or with current students.
To become a Class Champion for your graduating year, contact Bonnie Merchan-Douglas, Alumni Development Officer – Volunteers at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 416.946.7168.
CLASS CHAMPION Responsibilities
Purpose of role
To help maintain strong bonds amongst members of specific classes with Rotman Commerce, University of Toronto.
Each Champion will complete a minimum of a one year term with the option for renewal up to a maximum of three years.
Support from Rotman Commerce Alumni Relations Office (ARO)
- Original and ongoing updates to class list
- Mailings/e-mailings to class to market events/activitie
- Promotion of events/activities on website and RC portal
- Support for organizing events
- Examples of events and activities from other classes
- Lists and suggestions of facilities and suppliers
- Booking of available Rotman Commerce space
- Meeting of Class Champions in September hosted by the Rotman Commerce Alumni Steering Committee (RCASC)
- Participation in the Annual Meeting hosted by the RCASC
- Update Class List on an ongoing basis: reconcile with Rotman Commerce at least once per year
- Provide ideas for Class Notes, alumni profiles and volunteers to the Alumni Relations Office
- Identify/recruit other Class Champions to help where appropriate, and identify/recruit a successor at end of term
- Connect with class within 1 month of appointment or convocation
- Set up calendar of dates for one calendar year: communicate to class within 6 weeks of being selected
- Redistribute emails about events to class with a personal note as appropriate
- Organize at least two class-specific events per year
- Continue class events informally
- Consider add-ons to Rotman Commerce events, e.g., drinks after Leadership in Business, set up small groups for Evening for Young Professionals etc.
- Connect with other class years to combine events, providing extended networking opportunities and better turnout numbers
- Email/call classmates leading up to event to remind/persuade classmates, also creates a personalized feel
- Encourage membership in the Rotman Commerce Alumni Network on LinkedIn and Facebook
- Provide a feedback mechanism for the ARO regarding events/services for their class.
- Promote Rotman Commerce Reunion event(s) to your class
- Ongoing engagement with the Rotman Commerce Alumni Steering Committee to assist in their projects
- Encourage classmates to support Rotman Commerce through volunteering and recruiting current students
- Support and promote annual gifts to Rotman Commerce
Anticipated time commitment
- (per year): 10 – 25 hours