International Study

Got the travel bug and want to study abroad? You can! Rotman Commerce students can choose to study for a summer, a semester, or a full year at partner universities around the world. Studying in another country on exchange or over the summer is the perfect way to gain international experience, broaden your horizons, and see the world – all while getting University of Toronto credits.

Summer Abroad

Each summer, the Summer Abroad program offers a number of courses in locations around the world. Unlike courses in the International Exchange program, Summer Abroad offers U of T courses, so students don’t need to apply for transfer credits. Classes are taught in English (with the exception of language courses) and usually have no more than 25 students. Courses can vary from year to year, as do the locations in which they are taught. Previous Rotman Commerce Summer Abroad courses include 200- and 300-level Special Topics courses (RSM295Y and RSM395Y) in International Management (Hong Kong and Italy) and Global Marketing (Hong Kong). We have also offered courses in the United Arab Emirates and South Africa.

The cost of Summer Abroad courses can vary depending on the location and course. Generally, fees including airfare, accommodation, meals, and tuition range from $5,500 to $6,500 for a six-week course. Limited financial assistance is available to students who qualify. The Summer Abroad website usually posts details on upcoming courses beginning in mid-December.

International Exchange

Rotman Commerce students who want to experience a longer term of international study should consider participating in an exchange with one of our 35 partner universities. Students can also choose to study at one of the more than 75 universities that have partnered with the Faculty of Arts & Science. Typically, students go on exchange in their 3rd year of study and receive credit for the courses they complete. While normal U of T tuition applies, participants are responsible for their other living expenses. Many partner schools have housing arrangements in place for visiting students. Note that while the language of study is usually in the host country’s official language, many of our partner universities also offer courses in English.

U of T’s exchange programs are organized through the Centre for International Experience (CIE). The staff there help you coordinate with the partner university at which you choose to study. Students are eligible to receive the same levels of financial aid as they would for courses at the St. George campus. In addition, limited numbers of need-based bursaries are available to qualifying students.

More information is available in the Academic Services section of the Rotman Commerce portal and on the CIE website.